Saturday, January 31, 2009

Rid Yourself of Bitter Roots

Looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled (Hebrews 12:15).

Thoughts rule conduct. Really, it’s the thoughts that we’re not conscious of that determine most of our behavior. Unforgiveness that is allowed to remain and fester will produce a root of bitterness. When that happens, others activities of life are clouded by expectations that arise from unforgiveness.

Here’s a simple example from my life as young person. I would plan to go bike riding with my friend and we’d decide to meet at a certain location at 3:00 PM. He would constantly not show up. I became angry at him for his no show, and judged him for it.

Years later as an adult, I noticed that I checked with people three or four times when they committed to doing something for me. The Lord showed me that I had a bitter root expectation working in my life that came from my friend’s violations of my past. It was buried in my underlying thought patterns and would surface when I did some business with someone.

Once I saw what it was, I repented of the thought I had clung to about my childhood friend. Repentance and acknowledgment released the habit of bitter root expectations that I had acquired from this long ago event. And I was freed from years of expecting people not to do what they say!

If you’re had relational wounds that you’ve held deeply buried in your underlying thoughts, let me encourage you to deal with them now! If you have responses in your life to people or events that are way out of line with what they should be based on the event, you may need to deal with a bitter root judgments.

Love believes the best of every person! Let’s rid ourselves of bitter roots that produce bitter root expectations in life and relationships. You could literally change a response pattern you’ve had lifelong, and enter into a newfound freedom!

0 comments:

Post a Comment