Tuesday, May 11, 2010

No More Obsessing

Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully (1 Peter 5:7 - Amplified).

We’re all changing from glory to glory by the Holy Spirit. That means we never really arrive in full spiritual maturity. We’ll be in process until the day we meet Jesus face to face.

I thought I had a pretty much conquered the worry habit. When I came to Jesus, I had a well developed habit of worrying about everything, and the Lord had helped me redirect my focus to faith and to believing I receive instead of allowing fear, doubt, and unbelief to rule.

Several years ago I was reading Happiness is a Choice by Frank Minirth and was confronted with an uncomfortable idea about myself. He mentioned that those who are leaders generally have a degree of obsessive compulsive tendencies. That’s what makes them good leaders. They push and get things done. I was taken back a bit when I read that, and the Father began to slowly speak to me about my obsessive tendencies. He revealed to me yet another layer of doubt, fear, and unbelief that I did not realize that I allowed in my life. He revealed to me that my obsessing over how something would be accomplished was actually unbelief working in my life.

Since that time I’ve been challenged to another level of faith and obedience. When things are not going as planned, I obsess. That is, I try to figure out what I need to do to work it out. In my mind I will come up with several scenarios that will work out. For instance, if I’m on a missions trip in between flights and my flight is late, I will obsess about all the scenarios of what could happen with my connecting flight, and what would happen if it was a late arrival when connecting to the next one.

Several years ago I was in the Omo valley in Ethiopia (a very remote area), and we were beginning the journey home the next morning. This area is very mountainous and is prone to flooding. I was awakened early with the sound of pouring rain, a real gulley washer! As I obsessed about what could happen if it flooded and we got stuck (we had to cross several river beds on our journey), the Lord began to deal with me to trust Him instead of obsess over the varying possibilities. I found this behavior was enmeshed into the fabric of my life. The Lord knows how to reach down into the basics of your nature!

Now, I have become constantly aware of the need to depend on the Father through the Word rather than try to figure every problem out alone. He’s turning my obsessing into trusting! I’m more rested and at ease. Sudden changes and challenges are not nearly as threatening. Peace is a constant friend. Life is more of an adventure with the Father taking the lead.

Worry on any level is an exercise in futility. It’s a complete waste of time! Instead of worrying or obsessing, pray the prayer of faith and believe you receive. Then spend time in praise and worship when the worry thoughts of doubt and fear attack. In His presence is fullness of joy, pleasures forevermore. The Father inhabits praise. His joy becomes an hourly strength!

We are in His grasp. Our days are arranged by the Father. Let Him rule you through the Word today! Keep yourself in His care! Underneath you are His Everlasting Arms!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Pastor Mitch, Me & Madeline just got through praying for some things that are really bothering me right now & I am trying to stay in faith instead of worry. This blog was right on time.

    Thank you, Warren

    ReplyDelete