Saturday, May 8, 2010

Giving Reveals the Heart

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:19-21).

A great book I have in my library about giving is The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn. This book is a great encouragement to be a giver. Let me be real here. In my view, there has been a huge imbalance in the message of prosperity in the body of Christ in recent years. This has bothered me deeply. Truth taken to the extreme becomes error. Kenneth Hagin saw the danger of this extreme before he went to be with the Lord, but few listened to him. He wrote a wonderful book to bring balance to the subject of Biblical prosperity when he wrote The Midas Touch. I encourage you to read it!

Our giving reveals our heart. If you want more of a passion for Jesus and for the lost, invest your time and money in the kingdom of God. It’s that simple. It’s the best investment. You can lose an investment made here on earth, but there is more than just compound interest being gained by deposits we make in heaven! And every deposit is guaranteed, not by FDIC but by His riches in Glory by Christ Jesus!

There are no hearses pulling u-haul trailers is an amusing quote from Randy Alcorn. Only what we invest in the kingdom of God will go ahead of us to heaven. As we age, and as we think about the time for us to depart this life, we began to think more and more of the impact we leave, and of what lies ahead of us as we enter heaven. Now is the time to prepare for the future.

I personally have never missed a dime I’ve given away. In fact, giving produces such joy that it breeds the desire to give more frequently.

I believe it was D.L. Moody who said What I spent, I had. What I kept, I lost. What I gave, I have.

Randy Alcorn mentions a tour given to John Wesley by a very wealthy man with a huge estate encompassing a large piece of land. At the end of part of the tour, the wealthy man asked Wesley, Well, what do you think? Wesley’s reply was I think you’re going to have a hard time leaving all this behind.

God blesses us so we in turn can be a blessing. Don’t allow the spirit of mammon to rule your life. Be a giver. Be a blessing. Live to give, and you’ll find that God will supply you with more than enough!

0 comments:

Post a Comment