Monday, May 10, 2010

Grace - God's Ability

Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God's unmerited favor to us sinners), that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it]. (Hebrews 4:16 – Amplified).

In my early years of ministry I had an experience with the Lord that changed me forever. Always being tough on myself, I usually felt that the Lord was also tough on me, and that I never really measured up to His desire for perfection. So I struggled with being intimate with the Lord. Don’t misunderstand, I knew I was a child of God through the new birth, but I struggled with really giving Him every part of me. Deep down, I believed that the Father just tolerated me. I’ve since learned that He really loves me and wants to help me with everything in my life.

Here’s a phrase that sums up what He showed me. Faith changes things but Grace changes people. The above verse mentions us going to the throne of grace to obtain what we need from the Father.

Let me give you a new definition of grace that was the catalyst to produce a change in my relating to the Lord. I knew that grace is unmerited favor. In Bible school I learned the acronym to sum up what grace is; God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense. But here’s another definition that impacted me. Grace is God’s ability working in me to enable me to do what I can’t do myself!

We can’t change ourselves, and we definitely need a higher ability than our natural strength. That ability is called grace. Grace is for the weak places of your life! Paul was wrestling with the thorn in the flesh in 2 Corinthians 12. This was a demonic attack on His life. And Jesus made a statement to Paul that at first he didn’t understand. He said, My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Later Paul was able to say when I’m weak, then I’m strong!

Grace is God doing what you can’t do. It’s His supernatural ability working on the inside of you doing what you just can’t do for yourself. Grace will change you. Faith will change a circumstance, but grace will change you.

Grace comes from the throne of grace. That is, grace is applied through prayer. God’s ability is enabled in you when you call out to Him in your weakness. Jesus, by the grace of God tasted death for every man. Where did He as the God-Man get the strength to bear our spiritual death? It was in the garden of Gethsemane while He prayed!

The Father has grace for your personal weaknesses today. He knows and understands you. Go today to the throne of grace, and receive His ability to do what you just can’t do yourself. His grace will change your weakness into strength!

0 comments:

Post a Comment