Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Holy Spirit Prayer Agenda


There are times in prayer that we need to allow the Holy Spirit to set the agenda. Instead of us praying what we know to pray from our heads, we need a time where the Holy Spirit is allowed to set the agenda. That’s the kind of prayer meeting we will have.
 
Let me explain what I mean by the Holy Spirit setting the agenda. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 14:14 (Amplified): For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays, but my mind is unproductive [it bears no fruit and helps nobody].  Praying in the spirit is praying in tongues. It is your own spirit communing with the Father about things your mind does not know. 1 Corinthians 14:2 (Amplified) reads: For one who speaks in an [unknown] tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands or catches his meaning, because in the [Holy] Spirit he utters secret truths and hidden things [not obvious to the understanding].
 
So here’s how you cooperate with the Holy Spirit in prayer. Find a spot and get your mind and body quiet. Instead of allowing your thoughts to race and meander onto anything, make your thoughts concentrate on the Lord. Start praying in the spirit or in tongues. As you do, mentally see yourself right before the throne of God (See Hebrews 4:16). You’re not talking to Him from your mind, but from your spirit. This is spirit to spirit communion with the Lord.
 
Then as you continue to pray in the spirit, at some point there will be an anointing that will start from your spirit and rise up. Words may begin to float from your spirit to your mind. When they do, pray them out in English. Notice that Paul said in 1 Corinthians 14:15 (Amplified): Then what am I to do? I will pray with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will also pray [intelligently] with my mind and understanding; I will sing with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will sing [intelligently] with my mind and understanding also.
  
Ask the Lord before you begin to pray to help you to know what you’re praying about with your spirit as He deems it necessary. 1 Corinthians 14:13 (Amplified) encourages this: Therefore, the person who speaks in an [unknown] tongue should pray [for the power] to interpret and explain what he says.
 
I was baptized in the Holy Spirit on Sunday, September 12, 1976, at 7:20 PM at the Florence Tabernacle at 600 East Palmetto Street in Florence, SC! Since that time, I’ve spent time every single day praying in the spirit in other tongues. And if you’ll allow the Holy Spirit to set the agenda in some of your prayer times, you’ll have some awesome experiences in God.
 
We will be praying in this manner this Saturday night at 6:00pm in our auditorium if you’d like to come. I’ll give some brief instruction to everyone, and then we’ll turn it over to the Spirit of God to help us pray. It usually takes a bit of time praying in the spirit for the Holy Spirit to begin to give understanding as we speak out in English, but when the words rise from your spirit to your mind in English, let them flow! Come and expect the Lord to meet us. You won’t be disappointed!



0 comments:

Post a Comment