Friday, October 10, 2008

Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs

Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord (Ephesians 5:19).

One way the Father encourages us is through the speaking of psalms, hymns, or spiritual songs. A psalm is a poem or ode. It may or may not rhyme. A hymn is a song of faith that inspires. A spiritual song is a song spontaneously given that edified, exhorts, and comforts the believer.

The book of Psalms is an excellent example of these inspired psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. Through the years in my personal prayer life I’ve been given psalms that inspire and encourage and I’ve been given spiritual songs that edify. I usually get them in my private times with the Lord. But this past Sunday during our first service I received one while I was singing during praise and worship.

The way this works is that as you are praying or worshipping, they arise from within and there is an anointing that comes with them. The anointing rises up from inside you. And when these psalms come up from inside, usually there is just a phrase or one verse of it.

Sunday as I stood there, I singing some but also just praying in the spirit too. That’s when the anointing rose up in me and this psalm also rose up from my spirit to my mind. I only initially received one verse of it. I encourage you to spend some time waiting on the Lord and you too can receive these psalms and hymns and spirituals songs. They will keep you encouraged and filled with the Spirit! Here’s the one from Sunday:

Be not filled with fear and with dread
For I am alive, I am not dead

I've given you My word, the incorruptible seed
Speak it and live it and in Me believe

Don't set your eyes on things around
But on Me may your sight be found

I will direct you and lead you, and I will supply
All that you need, on my Word you rely

Lift up your faith and lift up your sight
Believe in Me and I will be your might.

This is not a time for you to lower your head
And to growl and whine

But it's time for you to lift up your voice and sing
And my joy within you will continually ring

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your psalm
    Pastor Mitch! Nice to be able
    to reread it.

    ReplyDelete