Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Spirit Power


Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live (Romans 8:12-13).
 
I was not able as a teenage to control the desires of my flesh until I received the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. I had the desire to do the right thing. But day after day I was waylaid by the flesh, the world, and the devil. With the baptism with the Holy Spirit several things occurred.
 
First, spiritual things took on a new dimension of importance. Instead of having to think about how my spiritual life related to my work, my friends, my family, my inner life, I found an almost automatic connection. The job of the Holy Spirit is to make Jesus real and manifest to the believer. When He comes in the baptism with the Spirit, He in fullness does His job, if allowed.
 
Second, The Bible become a book I craved. I wanted to read it a lot. Then, I noticed that what I read would come back up in my thought life over and over. I found later that the Holy Spirit will remind you of the Word you read and store in your thoughts (John 14:26). When my flesh rose up, I found scripture would rise up too. And with the scripture came conviction. Then things that enticed me just weren’t as enticing anymore.
 
Thirdly, I prayed in tongues every day. I found that a strength would buoy up inside me when I prayed in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:4; Jude 20). My spirit was receiving a Divine charge! When temptation knocked, it seemed that a power beyond my own kept me from yielding. The times I did yield I was most miserable and I repented immediately. Sin had lost its grip.
 
If you will allow Him control, the Holy Spirit will lead you right into intimacy with Jesus. Let your walls down. He loves you. Some of us won’t let anyone close because others have harmed us in some way in our past. Don’t allow the fear of intimacy to keep you from this wonderful person, the Holy Spirit.
 
If allowed, the Holy Spirit will lead you into a deeper experience in the Word. Then, He will talk to you about adjustments you need to make to follow the Word more closely in your personal life. He will tell you who to befriend, and who to keep at a distance because of their lifestyle. He will speak to you throughout your day, and pull to the Word. He will keep watch and guard you when the world, the flesh, or the devil rise up.
 
The key is spending time with the Father and Jesus through the Word and in prayer. If you do, the Holy Spirit will help you put to death the negative habits of your flesh!

0 comments:

Post a Comment