Monday, July 13, 2009

Taking a Break

Then Jesus Said, Let's go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile. He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and His apostles didn't even have time to eat (Mark 6:31 - NLT).

My vacation has only just begun and it’s already made a difference! We all need the relaxation and rest that comes from taking time away from the normal routines of life.

Our culture does not value rest as it should. And I am a “delivered” workaholic! Twenty years ago I was not able to take a vacation and enjoy it because my sense of personal value was all tied up in performance and works. I would become agitated and upset just a few days into a vacation back then.

Now I am settled in who Jesus is to me, and I know that He loves me, not based on my performance, but based on the fact that I am a human being made in His image. And I’m able to take a break from normal routine without that deep seated feeling of agitation and the need to be doing something.

Paul held a pastor’s conference in Ephesus in Acts 20 and admonished the pastors to take heed to themselves and to all the flock over which the Holy Spirit made them overseers. There’s a lot of wisdom there.

Before a pastor can really help others, he must take care of himself spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, and in his personal relationships with his family.

So I’ll miss the flock! But I know that if I’m going to continue to be an effective pastor I must do as Jesus told the disciples and come away and rest awhile.

I’ll continue my blog during vacation though. I enjoy staying connected with you.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh. Nothing like His refreshing times!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we will sure miss you too, but enjoy that well deserved time with your family. Thank you for all you do. God Bless you! Alice

    ReplyDelete