Sunday, December 28, 2008

Out of Town Resting!

Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood (Acts 20:28).

Susan and I are out of town taking a break today. It’s important for all of us to rest, to come away from the normal routine. Someone has said that rest is not cessation of activity but rather change of activity.

As a minister, if I don’t take time to rest on occasion, then I’ll really be doing a disservice to the congregation I pastor. Here in the above verse, Paul tells the pastors in Ephesus to take care of themselves. Notice that he mentions their doing this before they minister to the congregation. Ministry is not really ministry unless you ministering out of a state of rest.

Taking time away is essential for each of us to be at our best in our vocation of life. Americans are known for not valuing rest as we should, and I believe that it hinders our quality of life. Yes, we should be industrious, but we should also honor God by resting and spending quality time with Him while we do!
I’ll be attending church today at the church in my hometown where I was associate pastor before coming to Raleigh 14 years ago.

I’ll see you Wednesday night! I already miss you all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment