Saturday, February 14, 2009

Change Your Personal Belief System

And be renewed in the spirit of your mind (Ephesians 4:23). Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls (James 1:21).

Most of our behavior is motivated by our belief system which is our personal and mostly unconscious set of rules we have about the universe we live in. This belief system is also called conscience in the Bible. I sometimes refer to it as our underlying thought patterns.

Our belief system is created by our life conditionings; our relationships with our parents, siblings, friends, teachers, coaches, boyfriends and girlfriends, pastors, authority figures, etc. And every single relationship leaves a print on your life which may be a good or bad imprint on your belief system.

We must retrain our belief system so that it lines up with the Word of God! It’s trained by meditation in the portions of the Word of God that directly deal with each false belief.

For me, I had a false belief that work determined value. I had to replace that false belief with the truth of God’s Word that I am saved by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8), that I am excepted in the beloved and dearly loved by God (Ephesians 1:6), that He loves me and has good plans for me (Jeremiah 29:11).

I had a false belief ingrained in me in my childhood that I could nothing right so why should I try. I had to replace it that the truth of God’s Word that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Now I really believe that I casn do anything that God calls me to do!

I had a false belief ingrained in me that people did not like me. God gave a scripture to use that replaced this false belief: It matter very little to me what you or any man thinks of me. I don’t even value my opinion of myself. He that judges me is the Lord. Now I can be myself, I can express my opinions to those who disagree with me, and I can walk into a room of people I don’t know and be perfectly at peace without the feeling of inferiority and rejection.

I am not the same person I was when I was young. The Word changed my belief system and that changed my behavior!

Meditation is designed by God to create beliefs deep within our spirit and soul. God told Joshua to meditate in the Word day and night so that he could be a doer of the Word (Joshua 1:8). David said that meditating in the Word would cause us to prosper in all we do (Psalm 1:1-4).

I have spent much time meditating on scripture that refute the false beliefs that life entrenched into my spirit and soul. I can tell you from experience that your behavior (your actions and responses to others, your attitudes about yourself, God and others, and your motivations) will change as you take the time to meditate in the Word.

Find scripture that deals with your false beliefs. Write them down and go to a solitary place. Close your eyes and say the Word over and over to yourself. That is way we scripturally meditate. Do this day after day. After the first 30 days you will notice that you are changing. I have done this for many years. The results are awesome. You don’t have to be stuck in negative thinking and wrong behaviors. Meditation will plant the Word in your belief system and transform you. Start today!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Pastor Mitch, awesome service last night. Anyway you can publish that prophecy from the service either here on the blog or if not
    possibly on Facebook? That would be great if you can. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete