Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father’s Day

And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4).

We fathers have a tall order! In many ways we represent to our children the fatherhood of God. All of us filter our concept of God through His representative on earth, our human father. If we represent God poorly, we can provoke our children to wrath. If we represent Him well then we aid their understanding of who God the Father is to them.

My Father taught me how to be a man. He taught me the principle of hard work. He taught me with his lifestyle how to be a person of honesty and integrity; how to keep your word regardless. He taught me the value of womanhood as he loved my mother and showed her care and kindness. Much of what I am today I must attribute to my dad.

I’ll leave you with the following Father quotes as you take time today to honor Fatherhood:

The most important thing a Father can do for his children is to love their mother.
-Anonymous

My Father didn’t tell me how to live; he lived and let me watch him do it.
-Clarence Buddington Kelland

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
-Mark Twain

A young successful attorney said: “The greatest gift I ever received was a gift I got one Christmas when my dad gave me a small box. Inside was a note saying, ‘Son, this year I will give you 365 hours, an hour every day after dinner. It’s yours. We’ll talk about what you want to talk about, we’ll go where you want to go, play what you want to play. It will be your hour!’” “My dad not only kept his promise,” he said, “but every year he renewed it – and it’s the greatest gift I ever had in my life. I am the result of his time.”
- Moody Monthly

0 comments:

Post a Comment