Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Pastor’s Advisors

Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables. Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business; but we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word (Acts 6:2-4).

A pastor simply can’t do it all. He needs men and women that help him fulfill the assignment he’s received from the Lord. In Exodus, Moses’ Father in law Jethro gave him the idea to delegate his responsibilities to others he could trust.

I have a wonderful team of men on my advisory board! We met last night and began the process of going over our 2008 budget item by item. This is not something a pastor should ever do alone.

When God called me to Victory Fellowship, He placed a mantel of anointing upon me to enable me to preach the word and to pastor His people. But just like Moses in Exodus 18, I’d wear myself out if I tried to do everything alone. There are too many people, and too many responsibilities. I thank God daily for the men and women of integrity He’s placed by my side.

I have an anointing to preach and it’s my responsibility to lead the spiritual affairs of Victory Fellowship. And I gladly do that. I love every minute of it! But when it comes to natural matters, the financing of all we do, the acquisition of land and buildings, I need not tackle this alone.

My advisory board helps me decide how Victory Fellowship can best use our finances to further the gospel here and abroad. They provide a safety net for me. Since we as a non-profit organization receive publicly donated money, it would be unethical and wrong for me as pastor alone to have total control financially! My advisory board provides an adequate checks and balance system for the receiving and spending of the money God brings into this ministry.

Our annual budget is about thirteen times larger than it was when I came here in 1994! And we are believing God to expand and do more than we ever have as a ministry. Thanks to each of you who faithfully give of yourselves as you give your tithes and offerings to the Lord through Victory Fellowship. I don’t take your gifts lightly. They represent your life and your heart for God. And I as pastor want to utilize your gifts the best way possible. That’s the reason the board and I spend over 40 total man hours meeting every year to adopt a new budget.

Let’s believe God together to do great things for Jesus in 2008. Let’s broaden our vision for the harvest of souls. Let’s continue to pool our resources together. We can do so much more together than we can individually! Remember, one can put a thousand to flight, but two can put ten thousand of the enemy on the run (Deuteronomy 32:30).

0 comments:

Post a Comment